UK360 - Gypsy Roma Traveller Special 25/06/12
26 June 2012, 02:42
Damian Le Bas, editor of Travellers Times, hosts this special programme dedicated to Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities.
In this week’s show we meet a top gypsy flamenco dancer now living in the UK. Tracy Finney, an English Romany Gypsy tells us his experience of discrimination against his culture. UK360 local reporter Jeska Jempeji explores the impact of the destructive media coverage on the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities. UK360 speaks to a gypsy community who want to separate the media hype from the reality of their daily lives. And we hear from three inspiring people who have made very important contributions to the Irish Traveller movement.
Remember, you can watch UK360 on Community Channel every Monday and Thursday at 7am and 7pm and if you miss an episode you can watch us anytime online at www.communitychannel.org
And if you’re at home thinking you’d like to make a report and feature on UK360, we’d love to have you on board. Email us at email@example.com for more information on how you can get involved.
- Following on from their documentary Not In My Backyard, Cambridge Filmworks takes us behind the scenes with a gypsy community to separate the media hype from the reality of their daily lives.
- The Irish Traveller Movement is a national charity working to raise the social inclusion of the Irish Traveller community in Britain. In this film, we meet some inspiring people who have made very important contributions within this community and beyond.
- Many countries around the world have settled gypsy flamenco communities, however the UK is one of the countries where you are less likely to see authentic gypsy flamenco. Jairo Barrull is a Spanish gypsy who lives in the UK. He is an international flamenco star whose artistic legacy goes back to the 18th century. To find out more information about Jairo and the gypsy flamenco community, you can visit his website at – http://www.jairobarrull.com
- Tracy Finney, an English Romany Gypsy as he tells us his experiences of gypsy culture, but also his sense of being discriminated against for being a gypsy. To watch the full documentary following Tracy and his daughter during one day in their lives, visit http://www.gypsyfair.weebly.com
- UK360 local reporter Jeska Jempeji explores the impact of the destructive media coverage on the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities and how they are fighting back to be heard and positively represented.